David Mamet’s Oval Office satire depicts one day in the life of a beleaguered American commander-in-chief. It’s November in a Presidential election year, and incumbent Charles Smith’s chances for reelection are looking grim. Approval ratings are down, his money’s running out, and nuclear war might be imminent. Though his staff has thrown in the towel and his wife has begun to prepare for her post-White House life, Chuck isn’t ready to give up just yet. Amidst the biggest fight of his political career, the President has to find time to pardon a couple of turkeys — saving them from the slaughter before Thanksgiving — and this simple PR event inspires Smith to risk it all in an attempt to win back public support. With Mamet’s characteristic no-holds-barred style, November is a scathingly hilarious take on the state of America today and the lengths to which people will go to win.
Providence Players of Fairfax is:
- A non-profit community theater troupe. All participation is on a volunteer basis. No members of the cast or crew are compensated.
- A membership organization. Membership is not required to audition. If cast, all actors (and in fact, all volunteers), are required to become members of Providence Players of Fairfax ($25 per individual or $60 per family – three or more) for the season (if not already a member).
Providence Players is casting 5 roles (gender flexible). No roles are precast, and all roles are open. All backgrounds, races and ethnicities welcome and encouraged to audition!
- 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, August 17
- 7:00 p.m. Thursday, August 18
- Callbacks may be scheduled, if needed
PLEASE RSVP to email@example.com with the date you plan to attend.
The Italian Café
7161 Lee Highway
Falls Church, VA 22046
Please do not contact the restaurant to attain audition information.
Performance Dates and Times
Preview: October 13, Thursday, 7:00 p.m.
Evening Performances: October 14 – 29, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m.
Matinee Performances: October 16 & 23, Sundays 2:00 p.m.
About the Director: Jayne L. Victor
Jayne L. Victor has directed many productions for Providence Players including last year’s PopUp production of The Parking Lot with co-director and spouse, Michael Donahue. She has directed mainstage productions of Auntie Mame and The Glass Mendacity. She has been seen on the Providence Players’ stage as Violet Weston in August: Osage County, Sonia in Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike and other roles in Red Herring, Calendar Girls, House of Blue Leaves, Dinner With Friends, Shadowbox, and All My Sons (Washington Area Theater Community Honors/WATCH nomination).
About the Play
Place: The Oval Office
Time: Present Day
- CHARLES SMITH – President of the United States
- ARCHER BROWN – Chief of Staff to the President
- TURKEY “GUY” – Representative of the Turkey Manufacturers Association
- CLARICE BERNSTEIN – Press Secretary to the President – a lesbian
- DWIGHT GRACKLE – a Native American
Ages for the characters from mid 40’s and up.
Additional Audition Information/Instructions:
- HOW WE WORK: Most Providence auditions have actors up and down to read multiple times in multiple combinations and scenes. Most actors find this fun. As space allows, you will be able to watch the auditions. You may be asked to go outside with audition partners and work a bit on a scene. We will do our best to get you up multiple times reading for parts you are interested in. You will also be asked to read for other parts you may not be auditioning for. The Providence Players strives to make our productions open to interested and engaged actors & actresses, regardless of their level of experience. We try and make our auditions as relaxing and fun as possible.
- AUDITION PROCESS & SIDES: Auditions will consist of readings from the script. No monologue required. Sides for the audition process will be supplied at auditions. There will be a brief movement/improv exercise.
- AUDITION FORM: Please ALSO COMPLETE the attached Providence Audition Form and bring it with you to the audition. Resumes and headshots will be accepted but are not required. We may ask to take a picture of you, but this is for internal use only and will not be shared.
We look forward to seeing you at Auditions!