Opens this Thursday, January 30!
Thomas is a director, desperately in need of an actress. When Vanda arrives several hours late to her audition for a play based on a nineteenth-century erotic novel, Thomas is less than impressed. But Vanda’s masterful performance turns the session into a tango for dominance between actress and director!
William Inge’s Pulitzer Prize winning drama explores themes of sexuality, repression, restlessness, and rites of passage. Picnic won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award for Best Play in 1953, and featured Paul Newman in his Broadway debut.
Against the backdrop of a country still reeling from World War I, the women join together under the Mediterranean sun, seeking a necessary balm of sunshine and renewal. “Enchanted April” won the Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding New American Play in 2003.
Become a Member!
We are a “big tent”- big enough to include first timers to theatrical endeavors and those with significant theater experience. We welcome you into this community and look forward to your creativity, experience and talent. Membership has its privileges. Join us!
See and read about the wonderful happenings at Providence Players and among member artists.
- Meet the Director and Cast of “Venus in Fur” January 10, 2020
- Casting Announcement: “Picnic” opens March 20 January 9, 2020
- Casting Announcement: “Venus in Fur” (A Providence PopUp) December 27, 2019
- Critics Heap More Praise on “The Gift of the Magi” December 11, 2019
- Critics and Audiences Agree – “Gift of the Magi” is a “Sweet” Holiday Treat! December 9, 2019