Play Synopsis: The Herdman’s were absolutely the worst kids in the history of the world. They lied and stole and smoked cigars (even the girls) and talked dirty and hit little kids and cussed their teachers and took the name of the Lord in vain and set fire to Fred Shoemaker’s old broken-down tool-house. This year’s Christmas pageant has a brand new director. The wild and pushy Herdman’s head to church because of the donuts and stumble into the casting session for the pageant. Same-old Christmas pageant meets the enthusiastic, uninformed Herdman’s.
Co-Produced by Providence Players and The Young Hearts
A portion of proceeds will go to support Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and its mission to find a cure for blood cancers.
Performance Dates And Times
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m.
December 7, 8, 13, 14, 15
Saturday & Sunday Matinees 2:00 p.m.
December 8, 9, 15, 16
Audition information and instructions
Dates: Auditions will take place on:
- Tuesday, August 21, 7-9:30pm
- Thursday, August 23, 7-9:30pm
- Monday, August 27, 7-9:30pm
- Wednesday, August 29, 7-9:30pm
- Call backs, September 5, 7-9:30pm (if necessary)
Place: James Lee Community Center, 2855 Annandale Road, Falls Church, VA 22042 (look for signs to audition room)
Special Request from Director: PLEASE bring your schedule conflicts that you are aware of.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the dates you plan on auditioning.
How we work: You are encouraged to plan to come to auditions on more than one of the audition evenings. This is not a requirement. Most PPF auditions have actors up and down to read multiple times in multiple combinations and scenes. Most actors find this fun. As space allows, you will be able to watch all the auditions. You may be asked to go into the hallway with audition partners and work a bit on a scene. We will do our best to get you up multiple times reading for parts you are interested in. You will also be asked to read for other parts you may not be auditioning for. The Providence Players strives to make our productions open to interested and engaged actors & actresses, regardless of their level of experience. We try and make our auditions as relaxing and fun as possible.
Audition process: Auditions will consist of readings from the script – No monologue required. Sides for the audition process will be supplied at auditions.
Audition form: Resumes and headshots will be accepted, but are not required. An audition form is required and will be available at the audition.
Membership: The Providence Players of Fairfax is a membership organization. Membership is not required to audition. If cast, actors in addition to production team members will be asked to become members of the Providence Players ($10) for the season (if they are not already).
RSVP: Please send us an RSVP if you plan to audition to email@example.com (or email us any questions you may have).
Other Information from the Director
Rehearsals will begin in third week of October in a second location then at the James Lee in November.
Character/Role breakdown 20-30 can be in the cast depending on turnout and readings.
- The Herdman’s–6 characters (7-15ish): Ralph, Imogene, Leroy, Claude, Ollie, Gladys (tough, sassy, crafty, combative, ragged, , bossy, wiry and feisty)
- Bradley Family–4 roles: Grace (Mom), Bob (Dad), Beth, narrator (12-14ish), Charlie (8-11ish)
- 3 Teen girls (12-14ish): Alice (prim and prissy) Maxine, Doris.
- 3-4 Boys ages (8-12ish): Elmer Hopkins (Reverend’s son 11-14) Hobie.
- 3 -5 Girls ages (5-10ish): Beverly, Shirley, Juanita, baby angels, small girls.
- 2 characters: Firefighters.
- 1 person 40-55ish: Reverend Hopkins.
- 5 Mature women (35-60 plus) Mrs. Armstrong, Mrs. Slocum, Mrs.Clark, Mrs. Clausing, Mrs. McCarthy.