Providence Players of Fairfax announces open auditions for Auntie Mame
A Comedy By Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee
Based on the bestselling novel by Patrick Dennis
Directed by Jayne Victor
Tuesday, July 12, 7:00 – 9:30pm
Thursday, July 14, 7:00- 9:30pm
Call backs – Monday, July 18, 7:00 – 9:30pm
The James Lee Community Center Theater
2855 Annandale Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
Additional Audition Information
- All auditions are open and actors are welcome to watch throughout the process. Please expect to be called up on stage multiple times throughout the audition.
- No roles are precast
- Auditions will also consist of cold readings from the script. Audition sides will be provided at the auditions.
- Headshots are not required but if you have a headshot and/or a theater resume, please feel free to bring it.
- If at all possible, please plan on arriving as close to 7:00 PM as possible.
- The Providence Players welcomes both experienced and inexperienced actors and actresses. We try and make our auditions as relaxing and fun as possible.
- If cast, actors will be asked to become Providence Players members ($10).
- As a non-profit community theater troupe, the Providence Players does not compensate actors or other persons working on productions.
- Email email@example.com with any questions.
About the Play
When Patrick loses his father, his wonderfully self-centered, witty and eccentric Aunt Mame, a Fifth Avenue socialite, welcomes him with open arms and introduces him to a life he never imagined. Unaccustomed to children, but not so to interesting friends, parties and the finer things in life, Mame introduces Patrick to a life full of madcap parties, silly escapades and other surprises. Patrick embraces his new home with enthusiasm. Even a stock market crash can’t hinder Mame, who throws herself into a series of unsuccessful jobs and eventually finds a wealthy Southerner to protect her way of life. Love can be wild, fun, and have no bounds when Auntie Mame is around. Auntie Mame is a heartwarming comedy that takes us on a journey of love, acceptance and hysterically wild fun over an 18 year period; 1928 to 1946. This comic classic inspired the musical Mame.
Performance Dates And Times
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m., Oct. 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28 & 29
Sunday Matinees 2:00 p.m. Oct. 16 & 23
Preliminary Rehearsal Schedule
- The Director intends to hold one or more full cast read throughs, table work and scene and character work throughout the summer and will schedule that once casting is complete. This will be scheduled based on cast availability.
- Formal stage rehearsals will begin on Tuesday Sept 13 and will be held most weeknights and all day on Saturdays and Sundays from 9/13 until opening weekend. A full rehearsal schedule will be provided. There will be no rehearsal on Friday 9/16, Friday 9/23, Monday 9/26, Monday 10/3, and Monday 10/10 (Columbus Day). There will be rehearsal on Sat. and Sun.
- Dress rehearsal Weekend/Week will be from Saturday 10/8 thru a student preview performance (Final dress rehearsal) on Thursday 10/13 (No Rehearsal Monday 10/10)
Auntie Mame – Partial Character Summary
As Written: 25 Male Roles, 12 Female Roles, and 3 Boys
(The Director will be exploring doubling actors in some of the smaller roles)
- Mame Dennis (Lead) – glamorous, eccentric New York socialite), Female 35-60.
- Vera Charles – a famous British actress from Pittsburgh, Mame’s best friend, Female 35-60.
- Young Patrick Dennis – bright, curious, adorable young boy who is orphaned and comes to live with his eccentric Auntie Mame. Male 9-13.
- Patrick Dennis, now a young man, Male 20-25.
- Ito – Mame’s Asian houseboy, Male 25-50.
- M. Lindsay Woolsey – Mame’s admirer, Male 35-60.
- Mr. Babcock – Knickerbocker Bank President, Male 40-65.
- Agnes Gooch – awkward straight laced secretary who transforms Female 25-40.
- Norah Muldoon – Irish housekeeper and protector of young Patrick, Female 25-40.
- Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside – Mame’s wealthy southern suitor, Male 35-60
- Mother Burnside – Beauregard’s southern mother, Female 50-70.
- Doris Upson – proper , flighty mother of Gloria, Female 40-60
- Claude Upson – proper, serious father of Gloria, Male 40-60
- Gloria Upson – Patrick’s fiancée, Female 20-25
- Pegeen Ryan – young interior designer, Female 20-25.
- Cousin Jeff – Southern gentleman, Male 18-35.
- Cousin Fan – Snooty Southern Lady, Female 25-40.
- Cousin Moultrie – Southern gentleman, Male 30-60
- Sally Cato MacDougal – young Southern belle, Female 16-15.
- Emory MacDougal – Sally’s younger brother, Male 9-13.
- Brian O’Bannion – Male 25-45
- Ralph Devine
- Michael Devine
- Bishop Eleftharosees
- Al Linden – The stage manager
- Theatre manager
2 thoughts on “Audition Notice: Auntie Mame”
I was curious if you have a mailing list for auditons?
Yes we do. Just send a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will get info on auditions as well as other PPF notices. You can also check this website’s audition page.
Comments are closed.