Bobby Gould in Hell
By David Mamet
Directed by Maria Watson
This is Bobby Gould’s day of reckoning. In Mamet’s dark comedy, the conniving movie mogul from Speed the Plow awakens in a strange room – the waiting room of Hell. A loquacious interrogator in fishing waders enters. The interrogator castigates Bobby for a litany of past sins, but Bobby argues that he’s not such a “bad guy.” His earthbound girlfriend appears and gets carried away in her anger at Bobby’s behavior. In the end, Bobby is given a chance to save his soul, but what will he do with the opportunity? David Mamet is the award-winning author of Speed the Plow, American Buffalo and Glengarry Glen Ross. This play contains strong language and adult content.
Providence Players of Fairfax is:
- A non-profit community theater troupe. All participation is on a volunteer basis. No members of the cast or crew are compensated.
- A membership organization. Membership is not required to audition. If cast, all actors (and in fact, all volunteers), are required to become members of Providence Players of Fairfax ($25 per individual or $60 per family – three or more) for the season (if not already a member).
Providence Players is casting four (4) roles. The original cast has three men and one woman (3m/1w). However, we are considering altering the gender of some characters which could mean a cast of as many as 3 women (3w). No roles are precast, and all roles are open. All backgrounds, ages, ethnicities welcome and encouraged to audition!
Download the entire Audition Announcement and Tentative Rehearsal Schedule, and Audition Form.
Monday July 1, 6:30 – 9:30 pm – Open Auditions.
Tuesday, July 2, 6:30 – 9:30 pm – Open Auditions.
Call backs: Invitation only. Monday, July 8, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
PLEASE RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the date you plan to attend.
Actors who audition one night may be asked to come back a second night, if available. You are not required to be available multiple evenings to be considered.
The Director reserves the right to extend the audition period pending initial audition response.
The James Lee Community Center
2855 Annandale Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
Please come into the front entrance of the community center and sign in at counter. Staff can point you in the right direction and signs will be posted.
Performance Dates and Times
Evening Performances: Thurs. Fri. Sat.; September 5-14, 8:00 pm Curtain
About the Director: Maria Watson
Maria Watson is a professional theatre-director, choreographer and dancer. A New York City-based dancer and actor for 15 years, Ms. Watson studied with Ann Reinking, Chet Walker, Tony Stevens, and Chris Chadman. Ms. Watson was classically trained at the Washington School of Ballet and the North Carolina School of the Arts. In New York, she studied directing with Tony Award-wining director Vivian Matalon and at the Acting Studio with James Price. She served as Artistic Director of the Mohawk Theatre Guild in Massachusetts, Millbrook Playhouse in Pennsylvania, and as Director/Choreographer at the Forestburgh Playhouse in New York. Maria is currently the Director of Dance at Georgetown Day School in Washington D.C. and on faculty at Ballet Nova. This is Maria’s second time working with PPF. Her debut was performing in 2017’s Moon Over Buffalo.
Thumbnail Character Descriptions
|BOBBY GOULD||m||LATE 20’S TO 40’S. Movie Mogul from Mamet’s Speed the Plow. A jerk.|
|INTERROGATOR||m/f||THE DEVIL. AGE RANGE: 20’S TO 100’S|
|INTERROGATORS ASSISTANT||m/f||AGE 20’S TO 100’S. Organized: yes person.|
|GLENNA||f||BOBBY’S GIRLFRIEND. LATE 20’S TO 40. Very opinionated and smart.|
From the director, Maria Watson
We will perform Bobby Gould in a small black box type theatre. I want the audience to feel involved in the performance and almost claustrophobic. The actors will perform in the audience and the stage. The audience should feel like they are in hell, which the Interrogator insinuates at the end.
REHEARSALS: A tentative rehearsal schedule is below. The schedule will be finalized the week after casting and will be based on crew and actor conflicts. Unless indicated otherwise, all rehearsals will take place at the James Lee Community Center. Weeknight rehearsals will start at 7pm and will generally go until 9:30pm.
Week 1: 7/15, 7/16, 7/18
Week 2: 7/22, 7/23, 7/25
Week 3: 8/5, 8/6, 8/8
Week 4: 8/19, 8/20, 8/23
Week 5: 8/26, 8/27, 8/29, 8/30
Opening Week: 9/1, 9/3, 9/4
Additional Audition Information/Instructions:
- HOW WE WORK: You are welcome to come to audition on more than one of the open audition evenings. This is not a requirement. Most Providence auditions have actors up and down to read multiple times in multiple combinations and scenes. Most actors find this fun. As space allows, you will be able to watch the auditions. You may be asked to go into the hallway with audition partners and work a bit on a scene. We will do our best to get you up multiple times reading for parts you are interested in. You will also be asked to read for other parts you may not be auditioning for. The Providence Players strives to make our productions open to interested and engaged actors & actresses, regardless of their level of experience. We try and make our auditions as relaxing and fun as possible.
- AUDITION PROCESS & SIDES: Auditions will consist of readings from the script. No monologue required although one of the sides may be a monologue from the play. Sides for the audition process will be supplied at auditions.
- AUDITION FORM: Please ALSO COMPLETE the attached Providence Audition Form and bring it with you to the audition. Resumes and headshots will be accepted, but are not required. We may ask to take a picture of you, but this is for internal use only and will not be shared.
We look forward to seeing you at Auditions!